TERRACE APARTMENTS

The Terrace Apartments, which opened in 1971, faces Center Street.

2003
Construction of the 30 unit Terrace Apartments began in July, 1970; open house was held July 25, 1971, and by the end of August, 1971, the apartments were fully occupied.
The Terrace is located one block east of Main Street, fronting Center Street.
The $500,000 project was federally financed, with a loan repayment of many years. At the end of the loan period, the project will belong to the City of Manning. Technically known as an IA 21-1 project, it is intended as conventional housing for the low income elderly.
The apartments are operated by a city agency known as the Low-Rent Housing Agency of Manning. The five commissioners are appointed by the mayor and city council. Serving on the first board were Orval Fink, Warren Puck, Walter D. Felker, LaVerne Olsen and Robert Campbell. Erwin Hansen was the Director during construction.
Current commissioners are Dr. Felker, William G. Ohde, Charles Hughes, Art Rix and Daryl Genzen. Others who have served throughout the years were Edwin Johnson, John Falck, and Leland Rauch.
Mrs. Dorothy Kusel was hired as Executive Director in April, 1971; she now serves as the director and secretary. Hugo Ress has served as Maintenance Director during most of the years since the building was occupied.
Of the 30 units, 18 are one bedroom efficiency units which may be occupied by only one person. The remaining 12 are one bedroom apartments where couples (or singles) may live. Each apartment at the Terrace includes a carpeted living room and one carpeted bedroom, a tiled bathroom with shower, and a kitchen.
The building includes a large meeting room for social activities.

RUHDE & JAHN CONSTRUCTION
Emil Ruhde and Lyle Jahn formed their partnership in 1963. Ruhde, the senior partner, had 40 years' experience as a carpenter; Jahn, whose experience dated back to 1956, had until then been unable to stay with it exclusively due to the seasonal nature of the carpenter business.
Their first major project as a partnership was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Steinke in 1963. Recent major projects have been the Manning Heating and Sheet Metal building and Felker Veterinary Clinic, both on West Street, and the Spies Fur Company on Highway 141. During the past 17 years, they have also constructed many private dwellings, done many remodeling and repair jobs, carpet installations and roof resurfacings.

CLOVERS
Mrs. Grant Fredricksen was their first leader. August Nulle, grandfather of one of the members, carved a walnut gavel for them which is still in use. Charter members were Marilyn Popp, Phyllis Jensen, Alice Ahrendsen, Margene Drees, Darlene Lamp, Marlene Nulle and Charlene Witt. Mrs. Raymond Grimm and Mrs. LeRoy Brus were the first co-leaders. When Mrs. Fredricksen moved away in 1954, Mrs. Lorenz Ahrendsen became leader and has been ever since with the following helpers: Effie (Mrs. Nelson) Christensen, Dorothy (Mrs. Donald) Beck, Lucy (Mrs. Carl) Borkowski, Melba (Mrs. Harry) Fischer, Helene (Mrs. Clarus) Heithoff, Donna (Mrs. Walter) Felker, Betty (Mrs. Charles) Brotherton, Virginia (Mrs. Roy) Struve, and now Janet (Mrs. Philip) Myer and Karen (Mrs. Ronald) Hansen are co-leaders with 21 members enrolled.

Sadly, this collection was given to another museum - no one in Manning wanted to continue with this idea so it is gone from Manning forever.

HOLSTEIN FRIESIAN MUSEUM
Melvin Scholl came to Manning in 1957 to work as a herdsman for the ManCryCo Farms. He brought with him a large collection of HolsteinFriesian memorabilia and his dream of opening a museum dedicated "to the most popular dairy animal in the world."
Scholl's idea found favor with the Manning Chamber of Commerce, the Development Corporation, and the Iowa Holstein Breeders Association, and the museum was opened January 1, 1968 at 507 Main Street. Lauded as the "one and only Holstein Museum on the North American Continent", the museum was soon pinpointed on Iowa and national maps. Scholl became the museum's curator.
Scholl's private collection of historical records, pictures and memorabilia was extended through donations from breeders throughout the United States and Canada.
Among the collection are registration papers of some of the most prominent members of the breed, including those of Minnow Creek Eden Delight, champion lifetime butterfat producer with 12,211 pounds; the "knock-down" milk stool used in milking College Ormsby Burke, the champion lifetime milk producer of the breed, with 334;219 pounds: me show halter worn by Harborcrest Rose Milly. All-time All-American Aged cow; the switch from the tail of Wis Repose, one of the most admired cows of the breed and dam of nine sons which sold up to $30,000; and a copy of the cancelled check for $42,000 written by Rowntree Farms Ltd. of Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada, for Glenafton Nettle Benheur Maude, second highest-selling cow of the breed.
Pictures and paintings include a 20x30 inch original oil painting of Pietertje Maid Ormsby, "Mother of the Breed", which was painted by J. Grant Steele about 1908. Leo Bruck of Manning donated an oil portrait of Royal Rue, one of the ManCryCo Farms' top producers.
The story of the Holstein-Friesian is presented against a Dutch motif, with windmills, wooden shoes, and Delftware telling the story of the breed's origins in the lowlands of Holland and North Friesland.
Scholl was born in Rockwell, Iowa, and earned a degree in dairy and animal husbandry from Iowa State University. He had his own herd from 1936 until 1944, and then worked as a herdsman for the Maytag Farms at Newton until 1949.
He authored a history of the Holstein-Friesian breed, and based a novel on his career as a herdsman which was called "Arnewood: The Story of an Iowa Dairyman". Scholl traveled the country to help breeders write their own histories, research registration data, and help prepare animals for sales. Much of his collection was obtained during these trips.
Scholl's health was already failing when he came to Manning, and he died January 11, 1972, at the age of 55.
The dream of the Holstein Museum did not die with Scholl, but has continued through the efforts of several local residents.
The museum, which had begun in a corner of the present Manning Motor building, was to be moved into a permanent site to be built in Manning. Floor plans called for a large lecture hall, offices, display areas, and living quarters for the curator.
When Scholl died, the collection was moved instead to the basement of the newly constructed law office for Hansen, Bunz and Mugan. The display is there today, awaiting a more permanent home.
Dr. Walter Felker, president of the non-profit Holstein-Friesian Museum & Historical Association, has part of the collection, including a silver coin specially minted for the museum.
Erwin Hansen, a member of the museum association, continues to give tours to visitors from throughout the world. He answers correspondence about the breed and the museum, and still receives donations for the collection.

DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
The Manning Development Corporation was formed in February, 1960, by John Horbach, Jr., Harold Juels, Francis Zerwas, Harold Sanders, Justin Zentmeyer, and Richard Crandall. It was their plan to provide land for future industrial expansion in Manning.
The corporation sold $100,000 in stock to about 200 area residents and purchased 60 acres of land from Gerhardt T. Voge. This land, at the west edge of town, was zoned for commercial and industrial use. An additional 60 acres was purchased from Feike Antone in October, 1972. Part of the site was utilized for the swimming pool, homes, and other lots.
The first building was erected on the site in 1960-61. It housed a lampshade factory for several years, and today is part of the L.R. Nelson Corporation which manufactures water sprinkler systems. Two additional buildings have since been added for the Nelson firm.
A large building, which is being rented by the City of Manning for a garage, was constructed in 1974-75.
At the present time, grading for two access roads and a frontage road is underway. Future plans include more roads and up to 20 commercial lots.
The corporation continues to have about 200 stockholders. Officers are Orval Fink, president; Richard Crandall, vice-president, and Walter Felker, secretary-treasurer.
Directors are Merle Stoelk, Lyle Arp, Francis Zerwas, Elmer Mueller, Harold Juels and George Pfoltner.
August 28, 1967, a Low-Rent Housing Agency was formed with the present board members: William G. Ohde, chairman; Daryl Genzen, Walter Felker, Charles Hughes, and Arthur Rix.