Originally was a wooden building used as a communty hall and also the location of the first town school classes
217 - 215 Thomas D. Parkhouse garage - 219 post office on the left

Later became the Frahm Brother's Garage


213 The wooden building was originally used as a cream station, then later became the first location of Dappen & Felker

Bob Wade was a barber in Manning from the late 1940s to the early 1950s. His shop was also located in the Louck's Apartments; he was originally located on the west side at 213 Main Street in the small wooden building later housing the Dappen and Felker vet office .


Manning Heat & Sheet Metal on left (Chuck Rauch), Napa (Ralph & Pearl Grundmeier), Dappen & Felker


Pre-1915 view

In June, 1950, Dr. Robert R. Dappen, his wife Sara, and two small sons, Nathan and Nicholas, came from Iowa State University, Ames, to start his career in veterinary medicine. His office was located at 213 Main Street. Dr. Don Hemerson joined Dr. Dappen in June 1952, and after 16 months, left to practice solo in Sheldon.
Later, Veterinary Associates was located in the southern half of the former Frahm garage; the Ahrens dental office in the north half.

In an effort to help attract another dentist to the community, veterinarian Robert Dappen remodeled the former Frahm Building at 215 Main Street into a combination dentist and veterinary office. Dr. G.L. Yarrington was the first to establish his practice in the facility; he served seven months, vacating the office in 1970.
In May, 1975, Dr. Marty Ahrens came to Manning with his wife, Carol. His office was opened in July, and he has been practicing general dentistry at 215 Main since then.

Dr. Walter D. Felker came to Manning in October 1953.
He joined in a partnership with Dr. Dappen, which was dissolved in May 1976.
Dr. Felker then built The Manning Veterinary Clinic at 400 West Street, which includes a pharmacy, laboratory, small animal surgery and housing for pets, with both inside and outside cages and runs.

WALTER FELKER, D.V.M.
Walter D. Felker was born in northeast Missouri and attended a rural school through grade seven. He graduated from Central High School in Ottumwa in 1945, and then served in the U.S. Navy, stationed at Treasure Island, California.
Felker attended St. Ambrose College in Davenport for three years. In 1949, he entered the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, and graduated with a D.V.M. degree in 1953. Dr. Felker came to Manning in October 1953. In 1976, he constructed The Manning Veterinary Clinic on a two-acre plot at 400 West Street. Facilities presently include a pharmacy, laboratory, small animal surgery, and housing for pets with both inside and outside cages and runs.
Dr. and Mrs. Felker have four daughters, all graduates of Manning High School. Kathryn lives in Rogers, Minnesota, Anne (Mrs. Kevin Kimm) is in Charles City, Mary (Mrs. Larry Sibbing) is at Hamilton, Illinois, and Norine is a student at Iowa State University.

Audubon Manning Veterinary Clinic
The Manning office of the Audubon Manning Vet Clinic was opened in May of 1990. The building was built in the early 80s by Dr. Walter Felker who became the State Veterinarian for Iowa in 1987. The building remained empty for 3 years until the Audubon Veterinary Clinic purchased the building and site in early 1990. Dr. Tom Ulrickson was hired in the spring of 1990 by the Audubon veterinary group to serve as veterinarian for the clinic. Two additional lay persons were hired at that time, Cathy Pfannkuch as secretary and Scott Alt as veterinary assistant.
The building was partially remodeled in the spring of 1990 with the addition of a small animal exam room, an outside corral area to service trailer loads of cattle, and an inside working facility with a large hydraulic tipping chute that is one of only three of its kind in the state of Iowa. A large walk-in cooler and computer capabilities were added later.
The Audubon-Manning Veterinary Clinic provides general veterinary services for both large and small animals. Its practice area reaches into parts of 6 counties around the Audubon-Manning area. The professional veterinarian staff includes Dr. Mark Engle, Dr. Daryl Olsen, Dr. Steve Schmitz, Dr. Bob Bloome of the Audubon office and Dr. Tom Ulrickson of the Manning office. The staff is supported by 7 full-time lay help and a full-time professional nutritionist.