One of the most prominent and affluent citizens of Manning is Joseph Wilson, who for more than seventeen years has been identified with the banking interests of Carroll county. A Canadian, his birth occurred about fourteen miles south of Toronto, on the 1st of April, 1856, his parents being James and Jane (Campbell) Wilson, natives of Scotland. The father was born on the 2nd of October, 1814, while the mother's natal day was the same as that of the late Queen Victoria. They were married in the land of their birth, but in the early years of their domestic life they emigrated to America, locating in Canada. There Mr. Wilson engaged in agricultural pursuits until November, 1860 when together with his wife and family he removed to the United States, settling in Clinton county, Iowa. He continued to farm there but later went to Preston, Jackson county, Iowa, where he lived retired until his demise in September, 1895. Agriculture had proven very lucrative for him and when he passed away he owned three hundred and seventysix acres of fertile farming land. Mrs. Wilson survived him less than a year, her death occurring in April, 1896. They were both members of the Presbyterian church in the old country, but after locating in Preston they united with the Congregational church, as there was not a Presbyterian church in the place. They were both earnest Christians and took an active interest in all work of the church, Mr. Wilson having for several years been a deacon and trustee at the time of his demise.
To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson there were born eleven children, the order of birth being as follows: Virginia, the widow of Walter Spirrell, of Rock Rapids, Iowa; William, who passed away at the age of twenty years; John, also deceased; Ebenezer and Alexander, twins, the former a harnessmaker of Pierce, Nebraska, and the latter a farmer, of Sac county, Iowa; David and Sarah, also twins, the former passing away at twenty, and the latter in Canada at the age of four years; James P., who is a resident of Trenton, Nebraska; Joseph, our subject; Robert G., deceased, a former treasurer of Sac county, Iowa; and Sarah, who is also deceased. The father became a naturalized citizen of the United States, following which he voted with the republican party, but he never sought office or preferment in political affairs. Joseph Wilson, who was only a lad of four years when his parents came to Iowa, was reared on the homestead in Clinton county, in whose district schools he acquired his early education supplemented later by a course in the schools of Preston. He began his business career immediately after attaining his majority in 1877, when he rented eighty acres of land in Clinton county, which he cultivated for two years. In October, 1879, he came to Carroll county, purchasing the southwest quarter of section 8, Warren township, of H. E. Russell. He resided upon this land for fifteen years engaging in general farming and stockraising.
At the expiration of that period he withdrew from active work and coming to Manning on the 9th of February, 1894, he purchased ten thousand dollars worth of stock in the First National Bank, of which institution he was vice president for two years. During this time he also continued to engage in the stock business. Later he became associated with A. T. Bennett and they bought the old U. L. Patton elevator, engaging in the grain business until 1897, when they sold their interests. Mr. Wilson continues to engage in the buying and selling of stock, which has proven to be a most successful undertaking. On the 12th of February, 1898, he bought the Bank of Manning, which he still owns, the officers being as follows: Mr. Wilson, president; W. F. Carpenter, cashier; A. D. Weise, assistant cashier. Responsibilities reach the amount of seventyfive thousand dollars, and in addition to a banking and loan business they write fire insurance. The possessor of rare business acumen, as well as ability as an organizer, and unusual executive powers, Mr. Wilson has the faculty of surmounting obstacles and creating opportunities. In addition to his large financial interests he is an extensive landowner, among his holdings being six hundred and eightythree acres of fertile farming land.
On the 18th of February, 1880 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Wilson and Miss Rosie E. Fowler, a daughter of George and Lucy J. (Rudd) Fowler of Clinton county, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have become the parents of two children, a son and a daughter. Elsie May married Ernest S. Babcock, of Manning, and they have two children, Florence Rose and Lyal Wilson. Frank Harvey married May E. Evans and they have one daughter, Dorothy Lucille.
The family affiliate with the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which organization they take an active and helpful interest, Mr. Wilson being president of the official board, while Mrs. Wilson is one of the stewards of the church. She also holds membership in the Eastern Star, and at one time filled the office of worthy matron. Fraternally Mr. Wilson is identified with the Masonic order, being a member of the blue lodge of Manning, and the chapter at Carroll , being senior warden of the former. He is also a member of the Iowa Bankers' Association and the Shorthorn Breeders Association. Politically he accords his allegiance to the republican party, and was at one time constable, and for six years a member of the town council. Mr. Wilson is one of the publicspirited, enterprising citizens of Manning, who in the development of his personal interests is constantly promoting those of the town, and always gives his hearty cooperation and support to every movement the adoption of which will advance the community in any way.