William F. Carpenter, cashier of the Bank of Manning, was born in Westfield, Massachusetts, on the 14th of August, 1856, and is a son of William and Amanda M. (Holman) Carpenter, the father a native of (31oversville, New York, and the mother of Lancaster, Massachusetts. The father, who was a Baptist minister, came west in the early days, locating in Iowa, and preached at Greenfield, Afton and later Corydon. He retired from the ministry several years prior to his death and he and Mrs. Carpeter settled in Lake City, where they both passed away. They were the parents of two children: William F., who heads this sketch, and Helen M., the wife of Henry W. Crawford, of Lake City, Iowa.
The secondary education of William F. Carpenter was acquired in an academy in Franklin, New York, after the completion of which he began his career as a wage earner. His first position was a clerkship in a store in Sloansville, New York, which he retained for four years. In 1878 he accompanied his father to Iowa and they located on a farm in the vicinity of Orient, Adair county, which they cultivated for three years. In 1881 he went to Afton, Union county, where he held a position as bookkeeper for a year. On the 7th of November, 1882, he came to Manning to take the position of assistant cashier in the bank with Mr. Dutton, who later sold to Mr. Sutherland. He retained this position for three years, but then engaged in the realestate and loan business with Mr. Bennett with whom he was associated for a year. They dissolved the partnership at the end of that time, Mr. Carpenter continuing alone for about two years thereafter. He subsequently became cashier in the Bank of Manning, withdrawing from this position when appointed postmaster of Manning, in which capacity he served for two and a half years. Resigning he removed to Des Moines where he was interested in a flour mill for a time. Returning to. Manning he entered the service of Mr. Bennett as cashier of the German Savings Bank, where he remained until 1901 when he accepted the same position in the Bank of Manning, with which institution he continues to be identified.
Sloansville, New York, was the scene of the marriage of Mr. Carpenter and Miss E. Adella Crandall, a daughter of James H. Crandall, and one daughter, Anita M., who is still at home, was born to them. Mrs. Carpenter is now deceased and after her demise Mr. Carpenter was united to his present wife, formerly Miss Blanche Patton, a daughter of U. L. Patton, a well known resident of Manning.
Fraternally Mr. Carpenter is identified with the Masonic order, being a member of the blue lodge of Manning and the chapter at Carroll and he also belongs to the Order of the Eastern Star. During the period of his residence here he has held a number of official positions, among them being that of postmaster, mayor and justice of the peace, in which capacities he served efficiently.