Ulery L. Patton, the leading grain dealer of Manning, established his residence and business at this place in 1882, taking in his first load of grain
September 1 of that year. He now owns and operates a steam elevator which has a capacity of 20,000 bushels. He is handling on an average about 300 cars of grain
per annum. He is also engaged in the live-stock business. Mr. Patton dates his birth March 24, 1836, in Wayne County, Indiana, his parents, George and
Magdalena Patton, being natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania respectively. He was reared principally in Carroll County, Indiana, coming thence to Iowa in 1855,
locating with his parents in Marshall County, who were pioneers of that county. In 1869 he began dealing in lumber and live-stock in Albion, that county,
and later engaged in the grain trade, which he followed at Albion till he came to Carroll County. He also owns a fine farm, located two and a half miles from Albion,
which he occupied until the opening of the Iowa Central Railroad led him to engage in more active business at Albion. The engine and elevator now used by
him was brought from that point.
November 29, 1860, he was married to Miss Zilpha Elmira Rosseau, who was born in the State of Indiana in 1840.
Of their children, the first born, Reuben, died aged one year; Clara Belle is the wife of H.W. Reed, and Dwight, W., Blanche and Lulu are living at home.
Mr. Patton is one of Manning's leading men, public spirited, and liberal toward any enterprise which he deems for the advancement of his town or county.
He has been a member of the council since the first city election, and since the organization of the Union Fair and Driving Park Association he has held
the position of president, and to his individual efforts the success of that enterprise can be largely attributed. He is a prominent and influential member
of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Manual Lodge, No. 450, of which he was a charter member, and is also a member of Signet Chapter, No. 34, and St.
Aldemar Commandery, No. 30, at Marshalltown, Iowa. He has always voted the Republican ticket since casting his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860.
He owns and occupies one of the finest residences in the city, situated at the corner of Second and Ann streets.
Back to Carroll County 1887